About

Horace J. Good Middle School was originally built in 1954 as Garden City High School and also housed Garden City Junior College until 1958.

In 2012 a new High School was built on the northern edge of Garden City and the educational and extracurricular programs of Abe Hubert Middle School were moved into the newly renovated building redubbed Horace J. Good Middle School.

As the former high school HGMS houses facilities important to the community at large, such as Clifford Hope Auditorium, which is frequently rented out to the local recreation commission and for concerts, and Memorial Stadium, where many community events are held.

Mr. Horace Good
April 28, 1919 - September 21, 2012


Mr. Horace Good moved to Garden City from Denver in 1969 to serve as the superintendent of schools. He held this position until his retirement in 1984 and presided over the creation of both Abe Hubert Middle School (the faculty and programs of which later moved to HGMS) and Kenneth Henderson Middle School, as well as numerous elementary schools.

Mr. Good was also very active in the community after his retirement as a member of numerous local organizations and was a World War II veteran, having served in the US Army in France and Germany.